Workshop for the presentation of the results of the research project “CatOzoN” at the Aristotle University Research Dissemination Center (KEDEA), of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
On Thursday, November 18, 2021, the workshop for the presentation of the results of the research project, entitled “MICROPOLLUTANTS AND NON-BIOGRADABLE ORGANIC MATTER REMOVAL BY THE APPLICATION OF HETEROGENEOUS CATALYTIC OZONATION FROM THE EFFLUENT OF MUNICIPAL WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANTS “, was held at the Aristotle University Research Dissemination Center of KE.D.E.A. of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
The workshop was organized by “AKTOR S.A.” (member of the ELLAKTOR Group), in collaboration with the Laboratory of Chemical and Environmental Technology and the Laboratory of Environmental Pollution Control of the Department of Chemistry, as well as with the Analytical Chemistry Laboratory of the Department of Chemical Engineering of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
The workshop took place in the framework of the diffusion of the results arising from the research project “CatOzoN”, implemented within the framework of the general program “EPAnEK 2014-2020” by partnerships between businesses and research organizations in the priority area “Environment and Sustainable Development” and in the area of water and wastewater management.
The scope of the project is to investigate the development and the application of an effective method of removing residual non-biogradable dissolved organic carbon (DOC) in real conditions from the effluent of an urban wastewater treatment plant. The research project was carried out at the Wastewater Treatment Plant of the Tourist Areas of Thessaloniki (“W.W.T.P. AINEIA”), which is a representative example of similar units and has an ozonation system with bubble diffusers, with the agreement of EYATH S.A.
During the workshop, the most important conclusions of the research project were presented, such as:
- Findings of the partial removal of micropollutants detected in the effluent with the application of conventional wastewater treatment systems, as compounds belonging to 20 categories out of the 38 studied were identified, and are mainly residual pharmaceutical compounds and personal care products.
- Successful testing of 7 relatively inexpensive and commercially available materials as optimal catalysts for the application of heterogeneous catalytic ozonation (gaitite, T zeolite, calcite, dolomite, PET, alumina and perlite)during the laboratory experiments.
- Further optimization of operating conditions through a laboratory pilot unit of catalytic ozonation in continuous flow mode.
- Optimal application of the membrane for the diffusion of ozone in the liquid phase and the development of ozonation by diffusion in real field conditions (“W.W.T.P. AINEIA”).
- Construction of an original pre-industrial unit for the removal of micropollutants and its successful application to the secondary effluent of the “W.W.T.P. AINEIA”.
Watching the event on video recording is possible through the Ecoresources channel, on the CAT-OZON facebook page, on website: https://www.catozon.eu/ and on the YouTube website: https://tinyurl.com/hv9z8k5w.
Aktor, a member of the Ellaktor Group, in collaboration with the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, organizes a workshop in the framework of the diffusion of the results of the CatOzoN research project entitled:
“MICROPOLLUTANTS AND NON-BIOGRADABLE ORGANIC MATTER REMOVAL BY THE APPLICATION OF HETEROGENEOUS CATALYTIC OZONATION FROM THE EFFLUENT OF MUNICIPAL WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANTS “,
and invites you to watch the presentation of the results, which will take place on Thursday, November 18, 2021 at 10:00-14:00 in Room III of the Aristotle University Research Dissemination Center of KE.D.E.A. and which will be broadcast in parallel through the online platform Zoom.